||The Ohio Library Council's Awards and Honors Committee gives you the opportunity to recognize individuals and organizations that exceed expectations for their leadership and support in the Ohio library community. These are people that continue to make Ohio's libraries successful and vibrant. They have proven to be an outstanding lifeline in providing the best services, information, and support to Ohio's citizens.
Award recipients are chosen by the OLC's Awards and Honors Committee based on nominations and recommendations received from the Ohio library community. Recipients will be recognized during an awards ceremony at the 2014 Convention and Expo.
2014 Awards and Honors Nomination Form
2012 - 2013 Awards and Honors Recipients
Past OLC Awards and Honors Recipients
Hall of Fame Librarian | Librarian of the Year | Supportive Staff Member of the Year | Ohio Friends of the Library Recognition | Trustee/Board of Trustees Award of Achievement | John Philip Outreach Award | Diana Vescelius Memorial Award | Library Innovation Award
HALL OF FAME LIBRARIAN
Recognizes a librarian for his/her career achievements.
OLC member; MLIS; and minimum of 10 years experience in Ohio libraries
Career has demonstrated:
1) Sustained leadership; 2) Active participation in local, state, and/or national library organizations; 3) Commitment to the library profession; and 4) Contribution to the community at large.
Suggested Background Material -- Hall of Fame
Contact Laura Lehner if you need further information about the Hall of Fame Librarian Award.
LIBRARIAN OF THE YEAR
Honors a librarian whose recent accomplishments have impacted the library profession and/or library service to the community.
OLC member; MLIS; and minimum 5 years experience in libraries
1) Exhibits distinguished service in the library community; 2) Demonstrates evidence of professional and personal achievements; 3) Develops and implements new services; 4) Creates partnerships within the community to provide innovative services; and 5) Active involvement on the local and state level.
Suggested Background Material -- Librarian of the Year
Contact Patty Marsh if you need further information about the Librarian of the Year Award.
SUPPORTIVE STAFF MEMBER OF THE YEAR
Recognizes the achievements of a library support staff member such as, but not limited to: Clerk-Treasurers, Human Resources, Technical Services, Marketing, Extension Services, Para-professionals, IT personnel, Clerks, Clerical Staff.
1) Contributions to local library development are significant and merit recognition; 2) Excellence in performing their jobs including contributions enabling the library to best serve its constituents; and 3) Works to build networks with organizations and/or groups to back excellence in library work.
Suggested Background Material -- Supportive Staff Member of the Year
Contact Rochelle LeMaster if you need further information about the Supportive Staff Member of the Year Award.
OHIO FRIENDS OF THE LIBRARY RECOGNITION AWARD
Recognizes a Friends group, regardless of community size, that performs imaginative and effective activities that increase community awareness of its library, support library programs, and promote the mission, vision and core values of the library.
Member, Ohio Friends of the Library
1) Imaginative and/or effective activities; and 2) Activities that increase community awareness of the library, support library programs, and promote the mission, vision and core values of the library.
Suggested Background Material -- Ohio Friends of the Library Recognition
Contact Rena Wright if you need further information about the Ohio Friends of the Library Recognition Award.
TRUSTEE/BOARD OF TRUSTEES AWARD OF ACHIEVEMENT
Recognizes an individual library board member or entire board of trustees that demonstrates distinguished service and innovative leadership within the community or across Ohio.
OLC Member or Institutional Member; for individuals, current or past participation on library board
Individual or board has demonstrated: 1) Active and innovative leadership; and 2) Sustained commitment to service at the local or state level.
Suggested Background Material -- Trustee/Board of Trustees Award of Achievement
Contact Susan Riggs if you need further information about the Trustee/Board of Trustees Award of Achievement.
JOHN PHILIP OUTREACH AWARD
Recognizes exceptional achievement in library outreach services. John Philip was a consultant with the State Library of Ohio. His responsibilities included the State bookmobile program in Southern Ohio and its successor, Southeast Ohio Library Center. During his tenure, Philip often marveled at the determined efforts of library employees to bring the benefits of libraries to these isolated populations. Upon his retirement, this Outreach Award was established and named in his honor.
Library staff, department, Friend, volunteer, member of the community or library organization.
1) Displays exceptional achievement in library outreach; and 2) Demonstrates true dedication to the philosophy of bringing library programs and services to the underserved.
Suggested Background Material -- John Philip Outreach Award
Contact Frederick Gaieck if you need further information about the John Philip Outreach Award.
DIANA VESCELIUS MEMORIAL AWARD
Recognizes Ohio's library leaders of tomorrow. This award was created as an acknowledgement of Diana's enthusiasm, and active and creative contributions to the library profession.
OLC member; MLIS or library school student; 35 years or younger and/or worked 5 years or less in libraries
Individual career demonstrates future leadership potential by demonstrating an outstanding commitment to the profession, including advocacy in special areas such as intellectual freedom, library innovation, outreach, and/or expansion of library services.
Suggested Background Material -- Diana Vescelius Memorial Award
Contact Maria Sferra if you need further information about the Diana Vescelius Memorial Award.
LIBRARY INNOVATION AWARD
Recognizes the wide variety of expertise, creative talent, and successful initiatives incorporated in Ohio public libraries, regardless of size. OLC will promote the winning entries on a statewide and national level.
OLC member and/or Institutional member (an individual, group or team of individuals, specific library department, and/or branch, or a public library)
1) Program or initiative that breaks new ground in library service, programming, etc.; 2) Significantly benefits employees, library patrons, library operations, or the community-at-large; and 3) Program or initiative can be replicated in other Ohio libraries.
Suggested Background Material -- Library Innovation Award
Contact Carrie Waibel if you need further information about the Library Innovation Award.
If you have a question, please contact Jeanine D'Andrea, OLC Director of Member Services, or Daphne Silchuk-Ashcraft, OLC Awards and Honors Committee Chair.